IB Programme Description
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme in Hillsborough County is a magnet program that provides highly motivated college-bound students the opportunity to participate in a rigorous liberal arts curriculum. The program is a four-year course of study with two phases: Grades 9 and 10 are the Pre-Diploma Programme, and Grades 11 and 12 make up the IB Diploma Programme. Students apply in 8th grade to enter the programme beginning in 9th grade. Currently there are four high schools offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme: Hillsborough, King, Robinson, Strawberry Crest, and Alonso.
Application Period for the 2024- 2025 School Year will be posted by the school district in the fall. During the Application Period, families interested in submitting an application should visit this link to apply.
ELIGIBILITY/PREREQUISITE FACTORS: Applicants must complete Algebra I or Algebra I Honors (preferred) with a passing grade for each semester prior to the start of ninth grade. GPA: grades earned in core subjects from 7th grade and part of 8th grade Test scores: standardized test scores from 6th and/or 7th grade
PARENT INFORMATION MEETINGS
For Information about the Magnet options for Hillsborough County, please click here.
IB LEARNER PROFILE
The goal of the IB curriculum is to develop learners who become:
- Inquirers They acquire the skills necessary to conduct constructive inquiry and research, and become independent active learners demonstrating that natural curiosity is nurtured. They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
- Knowledgeable They explore concepts, ideas and issues which have global relevance and importance. In so doing, they acquire, and are able to make use of a significant body of knowledge across a range of disciplines. Critical thinkers They exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to approach complex problems and make reasoned decisions.
- Communicators They understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication.
- Risk-takers They approach unfamiliar situations with confidence and forethought and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. They are courageous and articulate in defending those things in which they believe.
- Principled They have a sound grasp of the principles of moral reasoning. They have integrity, honesty, a sense of fairness and justice, and respect for the dignity of the individual.
- Caring They show empathy, compassion, and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to action and service making a positive difference in the lives of others and the environment. Open-minded They are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and cultures through an understanding and appreciation of their own culture. They are accustomed to seeking and considering a range of points of view.
- Well-balanced They understand the importance of physical/mental balance and personal well-being for themselves and others. They demonstrate perseverance and self-discipline.
- Reflective They give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and personal development. They are able to analyze their strengths and weaknesses in a constructive manner.
IB Diploma Programmes in Hillsborough County
Hillsborough High School IB Programme
5000 Central Ave Tampa, FL 33603
(813) 276-5620 x262
King High School IB Programme
6815 N. 56th Street Tampa, FL 33610
(813) 744-8333 x281
Robinson High School IB Programme
6311 S. Lois Ave. Tampa, FL 33616
(813) 272-3006 x234
Strawberry Crest High School IB Programme
4691 Gallagher Road Dover, FL 33527
(813) 707-7522 x244
Alonso High School
8302 Montague St, Tampa, FL 33635